June 9, 2012 Lava Caves

If you've never been to the Lave Rock Caves or Lava Tubes as some people call them you should go.  It's really pretty cool.  At least as far as I've gone.  Kev and I went to them last year and only went down into them a 1/4 of the way.  We both wanted to be able to see daylight, so when we couldn't anymore we turned around.  We took Alicia & Veronica there so they could check them out.  They were all ready with my hat that has the built in lights, a splunker and flashlights.   I actually went in for a little ways and again turned around. (chicken)  The cave starts out that you have to do alot of climbing over big boulders, it's kind of narrow, it's cold and dark.  It goes in about 1 1/4 miles.  The two of them went all the way in, and describing it when they came out made me wish I had kept going.  Once you get into the tube part you really don't climb anymore but it opens up really wide and a lot smoother trail.   
This is what it looks like from the top.

Alicia & Veronica heading into the caves.  
 Veronica told Alicia that they were gone so long that we probably thought she got hurt.  You have to understand that anytime anything has happened to Veronica, it has been when she is with us.  All is good they made it out in one piece.  And the first thing Veronica said was, "I only fell 3 times."
This is them coming out at the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

As of January 2009, I no longer have a job. It's not that I lost it, but after 26 1/2 years of working at the Post Office, I retired. According to everyone I know, I don't do anything all day, so I decided to start a blog. Now I can blog about what I don't do all day. I am married to Kevin, who is the most awesome husband I could ever have. It's because of him, that I do not go to work any more. I love that and I love him for that. Between the 2 of us we have 4 children. Hunter 31, Heather 29, Paul 28 and Alicia 26.

Blog Archive

Followers